It can be daunting packing your hospital bag - especially if it is for the first time. What should you pack? How much should you pack? Have you packed too much? Have you missed something?
Below is a list of all essentials that I would recommend and a few extras that I have been told are a must.
I hope this helps!
- T-shirt/nightie for labour & open nightie for feeding
- Flip flops for shower & slippers for comfort
- Phone & long charger
- Money (coins for vending machine) / bank cards
- Straw style water bottle
- Hair ties / clips
- Toothbrush and paste
- Boiled sweets, energy bars or similar
- Frozen bottles of water (hospital water is often lukewarm)
- Evian face spray
- Bikini or vest for birth pool (if this is in your birth preference)
- Tena pants (A MUST)
- Big knickers (A MUST)
- Breast pads
- Nursing bras
- Lip balm
- Nipple cream
- Make up (if you want to feel more alive)
- Mirror to do the above in
- Comfy clothes to go home in
- Magazine / book (great if you to be in hospital for a while)
It can also help to make sure you have a pile of spare clothes at home in case you need to stay in longer. Your birth partner can go and grab them for you. Packing a hospital bag can seem a chore at first, but just take your time, collect bits over a few weeks and get writing those lists.
Best of luck!